Gluten-Free Cranberry Quick Bread
This quick and easy recipe makes a terrific addition to any holiday brunch or dinner.
Freeze leftovers and microwave a slice (briefly) for a treat any time. If you are avoiding nuts, use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds in this recipe. This quick bread can be made egg-free; see instructions.
MAKES 12 SLICES.
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts + 2 tablespoons for topping or ¼ cup seeds + 1 tablespoon for topping, optional
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
¾ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon xanthan or guar gum (if not in flour blend)
½ teaspoon salt (if not in flour blend)
¾ cup low-fat buttermilk, milk of choice or orange juice
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil an 8½x4½-inch loaf pan.
2. Toast ½ cup walnuts, if using, in preheated oven for about 8 minutes. Let cool. (If using seeds, do not toast.)
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour blend, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Blend with a fork.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and blend with a fork just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and ½ cup walnuts, if using.
5. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Smooth top using a lightly oiled rubber spatula or sheet of plastic wrap. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts over the top. Press lightly into batter.
6. Bake 45 to 50 minutes in preheated oven or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.
For Egg-Free Cranberry Quick Bread, omit 2 eggs. Reduce oil to 3 tablespoons. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons flax meal with 6 tablespoons hot applesauce. Use this mixture to replace eggs in step 4. Cover loaf with foil for last 10 minutes of baking if it's getting too brown.
Each slice contains 235 calories, 10g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 36mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 17g sugars, 3g protein, 23 Est GL.
Recipe by contributor LynnRae Ries.