Gluten-Free Lemon Pound Cake
PREP: 15 minutes
BAKE: 60 minutes
This moist, dense pound cake is perfect for eating without a plate or fork. Bake in a 9x5-inch loaf pan and cut each slice in half for more manageable portions. This recipe can be made egg-free; see instructions.
MAKES 1 LOAF (16 SLICES).
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk of choice
3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 + 1/2 cups Jules’ Homemade All-Purpose Flour Blend
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 cup butter or Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
1 + 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (convection) or 350°F (static). Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and dust it with gluten-free starch or flour blend.
2. Place milk and lemon juice in a bowl and stir to combine. Milk will begin to curdle while you prepare the rest of the batter.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour blend, baking powder and salt.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whip butter and sugar at medium-high speed 6 to 8 minutes until very light and fluffy. Add vanilla and lemon zest, beating to combine. Then add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
5. Slowly stir in the whisked dry ingredients, alternating with milk mixture. Stir until ingredients are fully combined and batter is smooth but thick.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan, filling only 2/3 full. (If you have extra batter that will not fit into your pan, bake it in a small loaf pan or ramekin.) Smooth top with a rubber spatula.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs, about 60 to 70 minutes. Cake edges will become lightly browned. (If baking extra batter in a small loaf pan or ramekin, bake it only about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the loaf springs back to a light touch.) Bake time will depend in part on whether pan is dark metal, light metal, glass or stoneware, so begin testing at 55 minutes so as not to overcook the cake.
8. Remove baked cake from oven to cool in the pan on a wire rack, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
9. To make glaze, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
10. When cake is cooled, run a butter knife around the inside of the pan. Then gently turn cake out onto your palm and place it on a wire rack. Drizzle with glaze, if desired. Sprinkle with zest, if desired.
For Egg-Free Lemon Pound Cake, omit 3 eggs. Combine 1½ teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer with 2 tablespoons warm water; set aside. Combine 2 tablespoons golden flax meal with 6 tablespoons hot unsweetened applesauce to make a gel. While gel is still slightly warm, combine with egg replacer, mixing thoroughly. Use this mixture in step 4 to replace 3 eggs.
Each serving contains 266 calories, 10g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 64mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 23g sugars, 2g protein, 29Est GL.
Each tablespoon of glaze contains 22 calories, 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 5g sugars, 0g protein, 4Est GL.
Associate editor Jules Shepard is author of Free For All Cooking (DaCapo Perseus), The First Year: Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free (DaCapo Perseus) and, Nearly Normal Cooking for Gluten-Free Eating (CreateSpace).