Gluten-Free Apple Crumb Bread with Sunflower Seeds
MAKES 1 GLUTEN FREE LOAF
Cinnamon, apples, toasted sunflower seeds and a hint of lemon make a gluten-free coffee cake-like loaf that’s equally delicious for breakfast and dessert. For a special treat, enjoy it warm. It’s best when made a day ahead so flavors can meld. For variation, replace the buttermilk with an equal amount of orange juice and use grated orange rind in place of the lemon rind. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
2 cups + 2 tablespoons Beth’s Gluten- Free Quick Bread Flour Blend
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 large apple (about 1 cup), cored and chopped
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or dairy-free alternative, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk of choice* or orange juice
½ cup toasted unsalted shelled sunflower seeds (2 tablespoons reserved for crumb topping)
2 tablespoons Beth’s Gluten-Free Quick Bread Flour Blend
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
1½ tablespoons butter or dairy-free alternative, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine 2 cups flour blend with baking soda.
3. In a separate small bowl, toss 2 tablespoons flour blend with chopped apple.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat ½ cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 30 seconds. Gradually beat in granulated sugar to combine. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour blend and baking soda mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Fold in apple mixture and sunflower seeds.
5. Scoop batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly to edges.
6. To make crumb topping, toss 2 tablespoons flour blend with lemon peel and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add brown sugar and 2 tablespoons reserved sunflower seeds and mix to combine. Stir in melted butter until moistened. Sprinkle evenly over batter in pan.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
8. Cool loaf in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight at room temperature before slicing.
Loaf yields 14 slices. Each slice contains 280 calories, 12g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 51mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 22g sugars, 4g protein, 26Est GL.
For Egg-Free Apple Crumb Bread, omit 2 eggs. Reduce butter to 6 tablespoons. Add 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder to flour blend in step 2. Combine 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoons hot water. Use this to replace 2 eggs in step 4. Bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes if not done when tested. Cover loaf lightly with foil if it is getting too dark.
MAKES 3 CUPS
Certain flours are interchangeable in a flour blend with varying effects. Cornstarch produces a lighter quick bread and potato starch delivers a chewier texture. Choose based on your preference, food sensitivities and what’s in your pantry.
1 cup sorghum flour (or corn flour or brown rice flour)
¾ cup rice flour (or buckwheat flour)
¾ cup cornstarch (or potato starch or tapioca/starch flour)
½ cup amaranth flour (or quinoa flour, buckwheat flour or millet flour)
2½ teaspoons xanthan gum
1¼ teaspoons salt
1. Blend ingredients together. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Each cup contains 515 calories, 4g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium, 109g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 0g sugars, 10g protein, 73Est GL.
PAN SIZE TIP
To determine a pan’s dimensions, measure from the inside edges of the upper part of the pan. When in doubt, use liquid measurements to correctly size your pan.