Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
MAKES ONE 10-IN. BUNDT CAKE.
Baked in a traditional Bundt pan, this gluten-free cake has a moist, tender crumb and a delicate outer crust. It’s fragrant with cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger and will fill your house with a warm, comforting aroma. Drizzle with Caramel Glaze, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar or serve it with ice cream or dairy-free frozen dessert. The flavor and texture of this cake is best when served at room temperature.
2 cups Brown Rice Flour Blend
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1½ cups granulated sugar
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree (about 1¾ cups)
Caramel Glaze or confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Position rack in center of oven. Lightly grease a 12-cup Bundt pan (10 inches across the top) with cooking spray.
2. Place flour blend, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, xanthan gum, nutmeg, ginger and salt in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. Beat eggs in large bowl of an electric mixer until lemon-colored. Slowly add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, and beat until mixture turns pale yellow and thick. Add oil and pumpkin puree and beat at medium speed until well blended. Scrape bowl and beaters. Add flour mixture and mix at low speed 1 minute until thoroughly combined. Do not overbeat.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan. Place in center of preheated oven and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Do not open oven for first 45 minutes.
5. Remove cake from oven and cool on a rack 8 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan and cool slightly on the rack.
6.Spoon Caramel Glaze over top of cake and let it drip down the sides. Alternatively, sift confectioners’ sugar over top of cake once it is cool. Let cake cool completely before transferring to a cake plate.
For Egg-Free Pumpkin Spice Cake, omit 4 eggs. Reduce oil in the recipe to ½ cup. Add 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch to dry ingredients in step 2. Combine 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoons hot water; let cool. Use this mixture to replace 4 eggs in step 3.
Yields 16 slices. Each slice contains 344 calories, 17g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 62mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 29g sugars, 3g protein, 30Est GL.
Brown Rice Flour Mix
MAKES 3 CUPS.
Store this blend in a tightly sealed container until used. Finely ground brown rice flour is available from Authentic Foods (authenticfoods.com). Make your own by pulverizing regular brown rice flour into a powder in a food processor or a clean coffee grinder. Sift out the grit.
2 cups finely ground brown rice flour
⅔ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
⅓ cup tapioca flour/starch
1. Combine ingredients in a large container and shake well. Spoon flour into measuring cups for recipes.
MAKES 1 CUP.
Extra glaze that drips down under the rack can be scraped up, rewarmed and drizzled back over the cake to make a thicker topping. This glaze can also be spooned over ice cream or used for dipping apple slices.
⅓ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free butter alternative
3 tablespoons heavy cream, coconut cream or dairy-free milk of choice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅔ cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Combine brown sugar and butter in a small, heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
2. Stir in heavy cream. Bring mixture to a low, gentle boil and cook 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and whisk. Then add confectioners’ sugar and whisk until smooth.
4. Cool until lukewarm before drizzling over cake. Glaze will thicken as it cools. It should be thick but still pourable.
TIP: This blend (Authentic Foods GF Classic Blend) can be purchased already made from Authentic Foods.