Gluten-Free Zucchini Brownies
PREP: 30 minutes
BAKE: 25–30 minutes
No one will ever suspect the secret ingredient in these decadent brownies. (Peel the zucchini first for no visible trace.) Zucchini and chocolate are very tasty together! Grate the zucchini or process it using the fine plate of a large food processor to measure 2 cups; do not press out the extra moisture. These brownies can be made egg-free; see instructions.
MAKES 36 BROWNIES.
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
½ cup chocolate chips
8 tablespoons butter, Earth Balance Buttery Sticks or coconut oil
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups grated zucchini
2 cups Jules’ Homemade All-Purpose Flour Blend or all-purpose gluten free blend of choice with xanthan gum
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, pressing to cover the bottom and up the sides. If using aluminum foil, lightly spray it with cooking oil.
2. Prepare a double boiler by placing a medium pot over a slightly larger pot that holds 2 inches of simmering water. Place chocolate, chocolate chips and butter in top pot. Gently heat to melt chocolate and butter, stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon. When mixture is completely smooth, remove pan from heat. Whisk in sugar, vanilla and eggs. Stir in grated zucchini until ingredients are fully combined.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour blend, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add chocolate mixture, stirring with a large spoon until ingredients are fully combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth top of batter with a rubber spatula.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only a few wet crumbs. Brownies should be firm to the touch.
6. Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool 5 minutes. Lift brownies from pan by pulling up on parchment paper or foil and completely cool brownies on a wire rack. Cut into squares with a clean knife or a large pizza wheel.
TIP:Lining the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil makes it easier to remove the brownies from the pan and makes cleanup easier, too.
For Egg-Free Zucchini Brownies, drain the grated zucchini but do not press it dry. Omit 2 eggs. Reduce butter or oil to 6 tablespoons. Combine 2 tablespoons golden flax meal with 2 tablespoons hot water; let cool. Use this mixture to replace the eggs in step 2. Increase the flour blend by 2 tablespoons in step 3. Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes or until done.
Each brownie contains 94 calories, 4g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 12mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 7g sugars, 1g protein, 9Est GL.