Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread
Here's a recipe for egg-free, gluten-free sourdough bread that can be dairy-free, too!
If you’re longing for a good gluten-free sourdough bread, this recipe is for you. It’s naturally egg-free and can be made dairy-free, too. (Just use coconut milk for the sourdough starter.) Yes, it takes a few days to get the sourdough starter going, but it’s not a lot of work.
So before you say “it’s too much," think again. Fresh sourdough bread is well worth the time. In fact, sourdough bread may be the healthiest bread choice, according to University Health News.
MAKES 1 LOAF.
3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend of choice
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup “fed” Sourdough Starter
3 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free butter replacement, melted and cooled
1½ cups warm milk or milk of choice (about 100°F)
1. Generously grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, xanthan gum, cream of tartar, sugar, salt and yeast to combine. Add Sourdough Starter and butter and mix to combine.
3. With the mixer on low, pour in the milk in a slow, steady stream. Once the flour has begun to incorporate the liquids, beat the ingredients on at least medium speed for 4 to 6 minutes. The dough will be pretty sticky—thicker than cake batter, not quite as thick as cookie dough. Scrape the dough into the greased loaf pan and smooth the top with wet hands.
4. Allow the dough to rise in a warm, humid place for 30 to 45 minutes or until it has about doubled in size. (In a colder, drier environment, this will take longer. If the environment is warm and humid, it may take less time.) While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F.
5. Bake the loaf in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a nice, golden brown crust has formed on top.
Each serving contains 170 calories, 3g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 8mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g protein.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring by Nicole Hunn. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011. To buy this book, click here.